Getting Started with Console
On This Page:
This guide provides instructions on how to get started with the F5® Distributed Cloud Console (Console) and setup user preferences based on the various work domain options available. The Console provides a customized view of services that you will be using based on your work domains selection during the onboarding process. You can also update the settings at any point of time based on your requirements.
Using this guide, you can learn how to setup preferences while getting started, navigate the Console, access various services, and update the preferences at any point of time.
Note: This guide assumes that you have administrator role and provides instructions accordingly. All services are visible for all roles. Access to services is defined based on the user roles. For information on various roles, see Roles.
SaaS account in Console is required.
Note: If you do not have an account, see Create SaaS Account.
Console and Services
The Console is a portal that acts as frontend to the SaaS services and offers various configurable objects grouped into a number of services. Using the Console, you can manage all configurations such as software, infrastructure, applications, users, etc. You can choose which services to expose in the Console user interface during the initial log in by selecting your work domains.
Although the user interface presents various services, every configurable object is supported with the fundamental isolation of a tenant and then has further isolation in terms of namespaces. For more information, see Core Concepts.
Initial Login and Setup
The following video tutorial shows how to perform the initial setup and shows how to navigate between various views:
Step 1: Log into Console and accept the terms and conditions.
- Go to the Console portal. Enter your tenant name when asked.
- Enter your SaaS account credentials. In case of first time login, accept the terms and conditions and click to proceed.
Note: Depending on the tenant setup, you may require to login using SSO credentials. In case your role is insufficient, system automatically sends a request to your admin to grant you access. In addition, you can resend the request using the
Resend Access Requestoption on the home page. The home page displays services after the access is granted.
Step 2: Choose your work domains.
- In the next screen, select your work domains. Work domains are mappings of the functions that you perform and they are tied to corresponding services. You can also select
Super Userto define that you are super user.
Step 3: Choose your skill level.
Select whether you are
Intermediate User or
Advanced User and click
Note: Intermediate users do not have access to advanced features within the services. This can be changed at any point of time within the service pages or in user account settings.
Step 4: View the various services on the Home page.
- At this point, the Console Home page loads with
Common Servicespopulated. The services are presented as tiles and reflect the work domains and skill levels you selected in the previous steps.
- Beneath the common services, a collapsible panel named
All Servicesis placed. Click on the panel to view all the available services.
- Beneath the all services drop-down, located are SaaS configuration tutorials you can go through to learn more about the Console and how to create different solutions.
Navigate the Console and Update Preferences
Do the following to navigate through the various services in the Console:
Step 1: Navigate to a service.
You can navigate to a service in any one of the following ways:
Click on the service from the
Common Servicestiles if that service is visible in the common services.
Click on the
All Servicescollapsible and select your service from the available list of services.
Use the search option located on the top of the home page and enter search text. Select one of the results from the dropdown.
- From within a service page, click the
Select servicedrop-down located on the top left side of the service page.
- You can either select a service from the displayed list or search for it using the
Quick searchoption. Search is automatically focused, and you can start typing right after you open the drop-down.
Step 2: View the common functions for all service.
Every service page has the following 3 areas:
- Navigation blocks located in a primary navigation on the left-side of the service page. They group one or more page links. Click to expand and collapse each block and hover the pointer over each page group to display pages under that group. Beneath the blocks, if service contains advanced option links, you will find an option to
Showthe Advanced nav options. This selection you make is applied at the account level and if enabled, access to advanced pages is enabled in all service pages. Vice versa is also true.
Page area on the right side displaying the page content/configuration object. This area contains options to work with presented data or a configuration if the page is a configuration page. If the page is a monitoring page, it displays the dashboards or associated tabs. Each page area contains one or more of the following common options:
- Search input field with which you can search for a specific object on that page.
- Refresh option to refresh the page and content in it.
- If page contains a table, a settings option to select or deselect the fields you want to view. It shows all fields in the
Alltab by default so that you can select the fields you want to display. Accordingly, properties of each created object are displayed in different columns. You can also use the search option within the settings to search for a field. Use the
Restore Defaultsoption to display the default set of fields and reset all other table customizations made (column order, size, etc.). Use the
Selectedtab to view and verify the selected fields.
Top area above the configuration page is a secondary navigation and it shows the navigation path in breadcrumbs. This area also contains the following general options located on the left side:
Support - Click on the support option to view the drop-down displaying various support options and resources. For more information on how to use support, see Support.
Account - Click on the account option to view the drop-down displaying information about your profile, plan, work domains, and skill levels. The account also includes
Note: From any page, you can navigate to home page using the
Homeoption located on the breadcrumbs located on the top area. In addition, the
Select servicedrop-down located on the top left side of the service page also includes the
Supportoptions. Clicking on the logo located on the top left of the service page also takes to home page.
Step 3: Update your preferences.
You can update preferences such as services to be included in common services on the home page. Do the following to update preferences at any time.
- Click on the account option located on the top right (next to the support option) on any page. This displays your account information, option to update settings, and option to log out.
- Click on the
Account Settings. This loads the
My Accountpage located in the
Personal Managementsection of the
Note: You can also search for
My Accountusing the search option in the
Select Servicedrop-down or the search bar located on the home page.
Edit work domains & skillsin the
Work domains and skill levelsection.
- In the work domains and skills edit form, select or deselect the options as per your preference and click
Save changes. The home page will show the updated services as per your preferences.